In her interview with MindStyling, Deborah Coughlin, founder of Method X gives a rallying call to women, challenging us all to value ourselves professionally at a higher rate.
In this episode, Amy and Becky recognise the gender pay gap is as critical an issue for entrepreneurs as it is for large corporate employees:
- Research in 2018 revealed that self-employed women in America earn 28% less than self-employed men.
- Another study shows men freelance creatives charge on average 47% more than women.
We reflect on the importance of a positive, empowered money mindset for entrepreneurs. Looking at how limiting beliefs ingrained from birth can hold us back, and what we can do to overcome them, we discuss:
- The risk of conflating ‘I’m not worthy’ with the fee you charge.
- How money means different things to different people: values and beliefs around money tend to be deep-rooted.
- How money works as an amplifier, enabling you to be more of who you are and do greater things than you’d be able to do otherwise.
- The importance of raising the right level of investment to enable your business to fulfill its optimum potential rather than just scrape by.
We ask who are you to stay in the way of you? We discuss how to move from a scarcity mindset to one of abundance and growth and recommend you:
- Ask for what you need, not what you can get by on.
- Price according to value added, not at an hourly rate.
- Ask for help from skilled mentors if you are working on shifting your mindset.
- Accept new behaviours around money will be uncomfortable at first. Keep practising, keep learning, and lean into the experience. Celebrate your wins!
Please share with us your experiences around money: is this an area of strength for you, or is it still a work in progress? Perhaps it's an skill set you really struggle with? We would love to hear your thoughts. Please share your insights and experiences with us on Instagram, LinkedIn Facebook and Twitter using the links below.
Sign up for the MindStyling Newsletter: https://mindstyling.group/sign-up/