In this episode Becky and Amy reflect on the criticality of Heather Lyons' Top Tip: “Hire really good people.”
No business leader would dispute the value of this; for founders, great hires are particularly important. We muse on the common pitfalls around hiring for start ups.
We emphasise the value of hire slow and fire fast:
- The wrong people can be extremely distructive, especially for small teams.
- Don't be scared to ask too much: get clear of what you are looking for.
- Don't assume others won't be as excited and motivated by the business' mission as much as you are.
- Get training and support in how to hire and how to manage well.
- Factor in time to build strong team foundations and nurture team growth.
- Take care not to feel obliged to give early supporters a share of the business or take a salaried role.
- Get creative with short contracts initially focused on discrete packages of work with clear KPIs.
- Importantly, take the long term view and work back from your vision for the business: design an organisation that allows you to be in your zone of genius!
We would love to hear about your experiences with hiring. Please connect with us on Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter using the links below; and subscribe to The MindStyling podcast and newsletter.
Sign up for the MindStyling Newsletter: https://mindstyling.group/sign-up/
About Heather Lyons and Blue Shift Coding