Do you have laser focus? This is Mel Rodrigues’ Top Tip for listeners.
In this episode, Amy and Becky consider the value of focus at a macro and a micro level in business, and how neither is necessarily easy to achieve. Sometimes it’s not even appropriate.
- Are you at the stage in your business cycle where you have sufficient information to be able to pursue strategic laser focus?
- Are money and impact to be found in the same place; or are they in entirely different directions, which is so often the case if you’re thinking disruptively or in an impact space.
- Is your team aligned or pulling in different directions?
Perhaps you at the early stage of a start-up where your very focus is on defining your focus!
- We refer to Eric Reis’ classic book ‘The Lean Start Up’ and ‘The Start Up Owner’s Manual’ by Steve Blank and Bob Dorf. In these learning is a key measure of success.
- The lean methodology can be your guide as you find your answers to what is the best business model, market and product for you.
We discuss the challenge of remaining on topic during team meetings, when ideas can come thick and fast.
- Research shows that when we are distracted by something, on average we take 23 minutes to return to the task we were originally working on.
- We recommend the use of an ideas list or ‘bucket’ to capture ideas on-the-hoof, to help you stay on topic.
- Amy outlines her prioritisation tool to help you identify which ideas to pursue quickly and easily. For each idea assess their impact and ease of implementation. Prioritise the high impact, high ease ideas.
- Amy recommends Greg McKeown’s book, ‘Essentialism: the disciplined pursuit of less’ and his interview by Tim Ferris. His core principle is decide on what matters most and say no to everything else.
How you manage to achieve laser focus? What helps? What doesn't?! Do you agree with our approaches? Do you have better ones to recommend? Please let us know using the social media links below.
Sign up for the MindStyling Newsletter: https://mindstyling.group/sign-up/
About Gritty Talent:
Linked in: https://www.linkedin.com/company/gritty-talent/